
Chris was recommended by his teacher at UVU to help at Timberline's annual tool sale. He did it Wednesday and Friday from 1 until 6pm. Brent and I drove up Friday to watch. It was really cool. Fortunately when we got there, we were the only ones for a little while and Brent got his own, private demonstration of this dove tail jig. Chris was very impressive and knowledgeable. We also were able to watch him give a larger crowd a demonstration and answer their questions. He said he sold quite a few of them. We stayed for an hour and it proved to be a dangerous place, as I imagined, because we came away with many tools that were on sale!Because we are talking about Chris, I wanted to tell about Chris's experience at school. He is in a cabinetry class and 6 of the students were assembling drawers. Chris was one and it took this group of 6, 2 hours to assemble 6 drawers. The next day, Chris was by himself and assembled 7 drawers, alone, in 40 minutes. Chris didn't know his teacher was watching. His teacher went and got the other wood teacher and they watched Chris. They had never seen the way he was putting them together before. Chris told us it was just common sense to him. Every time one of the original 6 students came in later, the teacher made sure that student was given something else to do. He and this other teacher were interested in seeing how many Chris could do by himself. It is great when people realize what it is they really want to do in life. That has been demonstrated in all of our children's lives. What they really want to do, they are really good at.
6 comments:
So how many did Chris end up doing by himself?
David
Yeah Chris!! I must admit some curiosity as to what Chris was doing that was so different from everyone else and like David want to know how many did he end up doing?
Jen
The first question that came to me as well was what was the final count for Chris? I think that is so great that Chris' hard work is being noticed and showcased as well. And congrats on your new tools Syl.
Sorry....Chris's final count was 7 drawers in 40 minutes.
Love,
Syl
That last bit about Chris came as no surprise to me, after seeing the amazing wood portraits he did of my girls! What a talent. I am glad he is being recognized by his teachers, that says a lot. We always borrow Chris for home improvement projects around here and it's always great to hear what he's been working on in school. It sounds like it's really paying off! :)
I Thought I should set the record straight. The first day 6 people put 5 drawers together. I was one on the first day. I arrived later then everyone else and I saw them all struggle to put the drawers together so I thought of a way to make it easier and put my drawer together. I than spent the rest of the class period helping everyone else put their drawers together. The next day I started putting the next set of drawers together and then mothers story is correct from then on.
To answer Jens question usually when you assemble dovetail drawers you have to tap in the dovetails and make sure they are flush you cant go past and you can't have it sticking out. My teacher will clamp his drawers to achive this effect. But it takes time and it usually takes two people a box. I clamped a stop block to the table and then hammered the dovetail in to place with 3 hits. The block made sure it was perfictly flush. and I could do it by my self and in about 45 sec. if that does not make sence I am sorry I can try to explain better if you want.
Christopher J Barlow
p.s. Both of my teachers have informed me that they are now going to assemble drawers the way I was.
Post a Comment