Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mt Pleasant Veterans Memorial



These images were painted on the side of the Recreation Center, on the wall facing the Library for the 4th of July. Two of the artists were from our Ward, Dean Kleven and Jason Quinn. These images do not actually stick out from the building it is all an illusion they painted. The shadows and everything else. It looks like stone underneath and it looks like they are standing on a plinth. Dad and I pass it when we go on our walks and we love it. The effect is really amazing. Each soldier is dressed in the uniform of a certain war. There is an actual cement planter that runs in front of it,but it is difficult to tell the difference between the real one and the faux one. In our ward alone we have4 artists that paint for a living. I don't know if that is unusual or not, but I am grateful for their talents. (I didn't count Dad, because he doesn't get paid for his poster work)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw these in process while we were there, these pictures don't even do justice to how real they look when you standing in front of them. That's when you would think it would easiest to see it's a painting. They are amazing!

Jen

Tannie Smith said...

really nice!

Lonna said...

That is really great. I love the little details. Different uniforms, the shadows etc. Amazing.

How neat that you have so many local artists.

Becky said...

I am glad you posted that. I didn't realize who painted them. I too have been impressed with the realistic touches. I couldn't tell from across the street if there really were indents or not.

Anonymous said...

I have always been impressed by people who can make these "3D" effect paintings. These are wonderful.
love, Linda