Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I won!! I won!

I actually won something! I am on the British author Trisha Ashley's email list and she has drawings every so often. So I emailed her to put my name in the pot and she emailed me back and said I had won a magazine that had a short story of hers in it. So it is on it's way to me. Two fun things with one little email....a British magazine and a short story I am looking forward to reading. What I like about this author is both Jen and I have emailed her and she answers our emails promptly and personally. She live in Wales, right on the west coast and what I wouldn't give to live by the ocean right now in the middle of winter.
As we are discussing or I am ranting either way, about authors I will just mention I am in a Rex Stout reading mood. I only like his Nero Wolfe series. I really enjoy these books. They are murder mysteries but the murder part is very sanitized so it doesn't bug me. What I like the most is he writes in a very high reading level and uses words I have had to look up. I love the dry humor in his Nero Wolfe books.
So my tip for the day is to keep on reading!!!! everything

5 comments:

Becky said...

Congratulations!
I don't think I will be reading Nero Wolfe if even you have to look up words. I would end up looking up every other one. I am glad you are enjoying them though.

Leslie said...

Wow-congrats on the big win! I had never thought to e-mail an author, or that they would even have time for the rest of us.
Wales is where my ancestors are from. I wish I could be by the ocean right now too..I guess we'll just be happy with sunny for today.
I hope you enjoy your short story. I do love to read, though these days every word is interrupted!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sylvia,
I love looking at your blog. I always jump from Megan's to Becky's to yours. I've enjoyed seeing your family and projects. We don't have a blog but I keep thinking I should start one. Brett applied for a transfer and listed England as his #1 choice. Hopefully he'll get it and you can come and visit us. By the way we'd love to have you visit us in Japan.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I haven't read Rex stout for a while, I think it might be time. I'm so exicted for the magazine. I do love Trisha Ashley's books and emails. But I think I want to go live in Cornwall instead of wales, that's my winter destination.

Jen

Lonna said...

Hooray!!! I love hearing things that people win. I happen to be one of the people that also don't win things. I can count only two times in my entire life that I have won something, once in high school at a summer running camp, a pocket size first aid kit, and once two years ago when James and I renewed our contract, a little DVD player that our neighbors broke.

But those were not contests just little drawings. That is really exciting that you can just email her and she will reply quickly, and now you get an exclusive story of hers in a British mag. That is really neat. I hope that you enjoy it.